I know that this is suppose to be in two paragraphs...I just couldn't see how to do that...SORRY! :)
This has really given me a different perspective on what we can use and what we can not use in our classrooms. After reading the article that The Educators' Lean and Mean No FAT Guide to Fair Use by Hall Davidson, taking the Copyrighted quiz and going through the Copyright and Fair Use Guide for Teachers by the Technology & Learning.com. I realized that I was very unknowledgeable in this situation. Like the "entertainment" part. My kids have come home from school and I have ask what they did and they have said that they have watched a movie. I know that they did not watch it for educational purposes, due to the fact that the movie that they had just watched that day was not educational.
Cyberbulling, that is something we are not going to get away from. There are bullies in schools, as well as bullies on the internet. We have to be aware of what the students are doing on the internet. Children think things are funny, in which they do not really realize that it is harming another student. Some parents, (and I stress the word some, because I see parents that have just had kids because they have gotten stuck with them, and then there are others out there that pray for them every day and can not have them and would do anything for children) don't teach their children any better and they feel it is getting attention and making me feel better to make someone hurt. It is the same way with regular bullying until it gets too far. It is so very sad that it happens.
Netiquette is very important, if you feel that you have written something that may have come across wrong add some sorty of smiley, or words in order to add that up beat tone. Make sure that people know your tone even in an email or text.
There are so many rules to have to remember with all of this. They want us to intergrate so much technology into the classroom, it is really hard to keep up with the times. I think it is important that in our professional development we are taught all of these things on a regular basis to keep fresh in our classrooms and keep up with the kids. We as teachers need to stay knowledgeable as well, otherwise they will be ahead of us and we may end up losing their attention. We already have a hard enough time keeping them focused as it is.....
The entertainment portion of the Copyright and Fair Use Policy also surprised me. I remember watching movies in school when we would have a substitute or around holidays when we didn't have time to start a new lesson. My sons have both done this as well. There are a lot of rules to know and I can easily understand why many teachers choose to not use technology in their classrooms.
ReplyDeleteStacy McCleskey
Hi Shona,
ReplyDeleteYou brought up a very good point. I remember in high school that sometimes when a teacher was absent we would watch a movie that had NOTHING to do with what we were learning. In fact, one of my teachers had to apologize to us one time for not "screening" the movie that was shown to us by the substitute teacher when she was sick. Although it was not the sub's fault, she also did not stay in the room with us to supervise the class. Apparently, the movie had so many sensual scenes that were definitely not appropriate for a class full of fifteen-year olds. One could only guess how that movie got on the shelf.
I, too, am very concerned about bullying, both physical and on cyber. I am the oldest of five children, and I always tell my younger siblings to speak up if they ever get bullied. It does not matter whether it's "only" on the computer or not. I truly believe that words have power to speak life or death to a person -- and that does not even include pictures that are left for many vultures on the internet.
Good post :)
Karissa Blasquez
I, like you, was very unknowledgeable about the copyright situation as well. I like that you are already an aide and have children in school so that you can see both sides of it. I don't really have either! I agree with you..cyberbullying is a really big deal and we should do everything we can at school to put an end to it. Outside of school however, we can't really do anything unfortunately. But we can teach our students to the best of our ability. Great post! :)
ReplyDeleteMeagan Hockett