Podcasting is very interesting, especially how you can make a video and you can use it in your classroom. I like the fact that you can download a podcast and watch it at anytime. If you have a student that is homebound or even with the bounds of In-School-Suspension or has missed a lot of school due to illness, it will be easier for them to catch up with the instructor applying the lesson to a podcast and having the instruction there for them to watch and be able to learn with instruction. This is also good, if it is important that you are in the middle of teaching a lesson and you have an meeting scheduled you can teach and have it downloaded for the sub to show. This not only makes it easier on the kids, not allowing them to miss a lesson and also the instructor because you will not fall behind on your lesson plans.
Podcasting is different than a Wiki although you can tie a Wiki into your Podcast, especially if the teacher is out. The instruction can come from the Podcast and then students can be directed to go to the Wiki for any questions answered to the assignment to for help with their assignments.
I have an Ipod, and a Iphone. I do use them to my advantage. I use them in my discoveries with my classwork, by looking things up on the internet and downloading videos for future references. I would also use these future tools in my future classrooms. The only disadvantages that I do see about the communication tools of being online are those that can not access it because of not having the internet at home because of being at a Title I school.
I couldn't think of any ways that podcasting could be a disadvantage until I read your blog. I agree 100 percent with what you said, and Im pretty sure it would be really hard for a student without the internet at home to be successful in school. As teachers we have to find a way to help the students that dont have internet in a different way.
ReplyDeleteTony Tennison
That's a pretty good point, but I don't think that it will be a limit in the long term, more and more people are getting cell phones, even little kids, and I feel at some point it would get to where the people that didn't have one would be so few that the school could subsidize them or make ones available.
ReplyDeleteMark Hudson